top of page
  • uniquejt

Change of Plans

Six days ago I posted a blog titled, "Trifecta of Trials" where one of the issues involved a low voltage warning on our truck. While in Oceanside, CA I started contacting some local mechanic shops to inquire their availability to address this issue. On Monday, January 9 I was able to find a local mechanic who could do the diagnostics to evaluate what was wrong. On Tuesday, after getting a rental car (notice we can't tow with this), we dropped the truck off at MasterTech and waited for the call after the initial evaluation.

We headed to visit Karen's Aunt Jean who now lives with her daughter Laura and son-in-law Vincent in neighboring Carlsbad. We had a great visit and it was good to see Jean who is 92 years young!

While we were there, I heard from the shop at noon that our truck had a bad alternator and it would need to be replaced. The good news was the shop located a new replacement. The bad news was it would cost over $800! With our departure from Del Mar Beach RV resort scheduled for the next day we explained our situation to the Service Manager and he immediately ordered the part to arrive the next day. We were hoping the new alternator would arrive around 10 AM Wednesday morning and the repairs could be completed by noon. This would require a late checkout which we got lined up with the RV office, no problem.

Wednesday morning we called Allstate Truck Warranty. When we purchased the truck we paid for the extended warranty anticipating this kind of costly repair might make it worth the cost in the long term. We spoke with a Rocky at Allstate and he helped us navigate the process. He informed us that the repair would be covered, less our deductible, and our rental car cost would be reimbursed. Great news and great service so we were encouraged! The bad news came later in the morning when Bob at MasterTech inform me the alternator was not on the parts delivery truck...serious bummer. We needed to cancel our two day reservation at Anza Borrego State Park because we would be stuck in Oceanside at least one more day, possibly two. Fortunately the Del Mar Beach RV resort could accommodate us, so we'll take it one day at a time.

I guess if we have to be struck with this view out our back window, I shouldn't complain too much. Better than a shopping center parking lot next to the freeway in the rain! I was looking forward to camping with our good friends Bob and Gail Conrad in Anza Borrego with their new trailer and that still might happen. We're hoping and praying the alternator arrives tomorrow morning, the repairs get completed and we continue on to the desert. Stay tuned for more of the adventures of Trinity!


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page